Wednesday, February 11, 2009

January 1905 by Katharine Boling


I read the historical fiction book January 1905 by Katharine Boling.

I choose this book because my teacher last year said it would be a good book for people that love historical fiction books. Last year I read about 45 pages then put it down. I decided to pick it up again. This book is about working kids. Back in the 1900’s, the kids had to work as well as the kids. This Pacific family has twin girls. Pauline and Arlene. Each chapter is told from Pauline then Arlene. Pauline, Mother, Father, and Patrick (younger brother) have to work. Arlene can’t because she has a swollen foot and has trouble walking. She has to cook and clean the house.
Read the book to find out whether she has to work as a coal miner, mill girl, or if she stays at home.

Maisie B. – 7th grader